When the Roman Empire came to its knees before Christ, the hunting of Christians temporarily ceased. Searching for a way to stay united to the Cross of Christ, the saints began to look to the desert. Each of us are invited to find the Cross of Christ in the desert of our life. Join Dr. Kenneth Howell in this journey guided by the wisdom of the Desert Fathers.
In this three-part series, you will learn:
- Who the Desert fathers were and why they are important
- What are the sources of our knowledge?
- What are the main teachings of the Desert Fathers?
- What promises do they hold for today?
- How to confront inner demons
- The importance of silence, stability, and physical labor
- The nature of anger, lust, vainglory, and acedia
- Ways to implement the wisdom of the Desert Fathers in your life today
- The importance of continual prayer
- The centrality of theosis in the spiritual life
- Lesson 1 Handout
- Lesson 2 Handout
- Lesson 3 Handout
- Suggested Readings & Important Quotations
- Part One Discussion Questions